Bolt Action - Soviet Union: Soviet Winter Infantry and KV-1 Heavy Tank Set
When the German army crashed over the Russian border in 1941, Hitler was confident of a short, sharp campaign. He nearly got one, but heroic defence by the massive Soviet armies slowed the Nazi advance. It was done by the simple private soldier, "Ivan" as the Germans called him. Brave, solid, and loyal, these soldiers endured dreadful battle conditions. Their equipment was unsophisticated but functional, much like the troops themselves.
The bitter fighting in Finland had taught some hard lessons to the Red Army where thousands of their men fell victim to frostbite. The cold weather kit later issued was warm and comfortable, frequently padded or quilted, and was much envied by the German troops shivering in thin overcoats.
These tough men could lie out in the snow for hours before making their attacks. Urrah!
Soviet Infantry (Winter) contains:
- Enough plastic components to make 40 Soviet Union infantry miniatures, equipped to fight in the harsh winter of the Eastern Front. Includes a host of options to allow for different weapons and command models.
- Weapons included:
- Mosin-Nagant rifle (scoped, with bayonet and without), PTRD Anti-tank rifle, submachine guns (PPS-43 , PPSh-41 and PPD-40), Mosin-Nagant carbine, DP-28 light machine gun, Tokarev semi-automatic rifle (and bayonet version), pistols and rifle grenade launcher. Also includes captured Panzerfaust!
- Round plastic bases (25mm diameter)
- Background leaflet.
The KV1/2 plastic box is absolutely crammed packed with the might of mother Russia:
- Enough plastic components to create one tank body and both complete turret variants (KV-1 turret and KV-2 turret)!
- A detailed construction booklet.
- A set of full-colour waterslide decals to allow you to put the finishing touches on your tank.
- A squad of 8 infantry that double-up as tank riders!
- A blast, smoke and fire marker to allow that cinematic touch.
- A stat card for either tank which holds all the information you need for your Bolt Action battles.
The KV-1 Heavy Tank
The KV-1 is a huge monster of a vehicle weighing at 45 tonnes it was one of Russia's first heavy breed of tanks used within the second world war, it was famed for it's near impregnability. The German anti-tank weaponry of the time had nearly no way of penetrating its armour, only the lack of training and manoeuvrability allowing it to fall foul of superior German tactics.
Their size allowed KV-1s to literally crush anything beneath its giant treads, firing lines and encampments were abandoned on the sheer sight of it. The 76.2mm cannon still punched through any of the current German armour, so during 1941, it was nigh-unstoppable.
The KV-1 set the example of how a heavy tank could or should be, nearly indestructible and to cause terror in their enemy. Over the following years it did fall out of favour, but it was used as the base for the next generation of heavy tanks.
Note: Models supplied unassembled and unpainted