Blood Red Skies - Imperial Japan: Mitsubishi J2M Raiden 'Jack' Squadron
The sleek J2M Raiden (Thunderbolt) was designed as a bomber interceptor. It proved a dangerous opponent, but it struggled to reach the high-flying B29 Super Fortresses that were its intended prey.
After a year correcting serious engine problems, the sleek Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (“Thunderbolt”) known by the Allied forces as “Jack”, finally arrived in front line squadrons February 1944. Primarily designed to defend against the Boeing B-29 Superfortress, its poor engine performance continued to dog pilots in this pursuit. Despite this, the aircraft was still an intimidating foe when Japanese pilots would use its four-cannon armament and dive and zoom tactics to great effect.
J2Ms operated from Guam and Saipan and a small number of aircraft were deployed to the Philippines. Some Raiden’s were based in Chosen airfields, Genzan (Wonsan), Ranan (Nanam), Funei (Nuren), Rashin (Najin)to fight against Soviet Naval Aviation units.
- 6 x Warlord Resin Mitsubishi J2M Raiden aircraft
- 6 x Advantage Flying Base
- 1 x Punchboard with Game Tokens
- 1 x Aircraft Card (Mitsubishi J2M Raiden)
- 1 x Doctrine Card (Head-on Attack)
- 6 x Aircraft Trait Card (3 x Heavy Hitter, 3 x Great Climb)
- 1 x Negative Trait Card (Poor Quality)
- 1 x Waterslide Aircraft Markings Sheet
Models supplied unassembled and unpainted